In the later years of the Ottoman Empire, Nigrita along with the surrounding villages, was a municipality of the old kaza Serres, which in the final years of the Ottoman period were of Greek origin. The city and its surroundings did not have a Bulgarian population because the city and the area (also known as Little Greece or the Greek quarter (Köcök Yunan) was mainly a Greek-speaking region and it was hostile to other ethnicities.
The economy was developed in the 18th and the early 19th centuries, with also an increase to the population. The main agricultural products were cereals, wine, cigars, cotton, sesame and aniseed. The main industries were silk and animal trade which made the economy of the area flourish during that period.
The economic lifestyle in Nigrita and the area during the last years of the Ottoman rule was sufficient, and could not foresee Macedonian problem. A few years later, the activity around the Macedonian affairs was climaxed.
One of the most important Nigritian persons was Athanasios Argyros, a legalist with plenty of works, president of the Athenian Pan-Macedonian Society and later, a politician of the Serres prefecture and Ministry of Farming and Education.
Nigrita's people knew how fierce the Ottomans were over the disarmanent among the Ottoman youth, in 1910. Nigrita became part of Greece in 1912 following the Balkan Wars. Nigrita at the time was in turmoil with captain Giagklis who fought in the Balkan Wars for the liberation of Nigrita from the Turks (Ottomans). Refugees of the Greco-Turkish War arrived in the 1920s.
Nigrita and its surroundings were also in the national resistance front against the German occupation during World War II. Nigrita was constituted in the area around Strymon.
Αρχαια Βισαλτια -Ο εγκατελειμενος αρχαιολογικoς χωρος Τερπνης